Author: Travis Young
Last Updated: August, 2020
Today, travelling and working remotely are very much a part of life. You only need to look in your local coffee shop to see how many people work outside of an office, and take their office with them wherever they go.
While the equipment has become a lot lighter to carry over the years, you still need one of the best laptop backpacks to make sure your devices are protected and that you aren’t putting your neck or back out when you’re carrying them around.
An over the shoulder bag could work for a short time, but for long term usage, a laptop backpack is the best option as it provides the most support.
Based on our research and reviews, the best laptop backpacks for 2020 are:
Best Laptop Backpacks 2020 – Reviews
If you’re looking for lots of storage space for all of your different items, the Matein Travel Laptop Backpack provides a variety of pockets for all your stationery, as well as a place to hang your keys.
It can fit laptops, notebooks, tablets, etc. with a screen size up to 15.6 inches in a separate dedicated compartment. Then there’s a spacious packing compartment to fit the rest of your necessities.
The design of the bag allows for easy strap adjustment, and the back is made to be supportive and offer optimum ventilation. When you’re just looking to quickly pick up your bag, the foam padded handle at the top provides enough comfort to make it easy to move around.
One of the most helpful features is a strap that makes the bag easy to carry on top of your suitcase. Other helpful features include a USB port and anti-theft pockets.
As for the material, the bag is water resistant and made from durable polyester, with zips made of metal so they should last a long time. Because of this, we think it’s one of the best laptop backpacks around.Check Best Price
- Water resistant
- Adjustable straps
- Foam handle and back support
- Multiple pockets and compartments
- Can fit devices up to 15.6 inches
- Water resistant and made from durable materials (i.e. polyester fabric and metal zippers)
- USB port to make charging your phone easier while you’re on the go
- Supportive design
- Adjustable straps to suit different heights and sizes
- Lots of storage space
- Unfortunately, the bag doesn’t come with all the necessary USB accessories, you need to buy these separately
- The pockets aren’t protected by any kind of built-in combination locks
Similar to the design of the bag reviewed above, the Kopack Business Laptop Backpack is made of textured nylon which is durable and water resistant. In addition to this, the fabric is also tear resistant which is helpful for those who might be a bit tougher on their gear!
With 17 different compartments, this bag is an organiser’s dream as you’ll be able to find a pocket to fit everything, including all of your devices. The bag even has a compartment at the back behind the straps so that you can put important things in there and not have to dig around for them in public.
As many other models available today, the bag comes with an external USB charging interface which is useful when charging your devices on the go using a power bank.
When it comes to security, this bag offers maximum protection as all zippers can be locked, and there are also two zipper layers to get through to open the bag.Check Best Price
- Bag made of sturdy and water repellent nylon
- Multiple compartments for easy device storage, like many of the best laptop backpacks
- External USB charging interface
- Anti-theft design with dual-layer zippers and locks
- Fits up to 15.6 inch screen size
- The bag is made of durable and tear resistant materials, which is also water repellent so you can be protected by the elements
- All zippers can be locked for extra protection
- It is easy to connect a power bank and charge your phone with external USB access
- All the different pockets make this bag ideal for someone on the move
- So many different pockets could be a bit overwhelming for those who like to travel light, and could make it difficult to find things!
The slick design of this laptop backpack makes it the ideal choice for those of us with more minimalist tastes. As an added bonus the bag is made of anti-scratch material and is also water repellent, like many of the best laptop backpacks on the market.
This design also isn’t just for looks either, it also offers a lot of protection against theft. It’s got a fully hidden pocket, combination locks and a hidden back pocket for extra security. Overall, it’s perfect for someone who needs to travel with a lot of expensive devices on their person every day.
Like many other bags in its class, this one also comes with external USB charging access, as well as a headphone hole, so that both charging your device and listening to music on the go isn’t a hassle at all.
This bag can also carry a lot of different devices, from laptops and tablets to wallets and power banks. For those who travel a lot, the bag also comes with a luggage strap to easily attach it to a suitcase.Check Best Price
- The bag is made of anti-scratch fabric and is water repellent
- Anti-theft design extends to combination locks and hidden pockets
- External USB charging access and headphone hole
- Multiple storage compartments
- The device is designed to be water repellent and anti-scratch so it can take the knocks of daily use
- You can lock the bag and make use of more than one hidden pocket so your belongings can be secure
- You can charge your device using a power bank and listen to music without having to scratch in your bag
- Multiple pockets make carrying a variety of devices easy
- Once again the bag doesn’t come with the USB charging device included, you have to buy it yourself
- The bag has a very minimal design which might not suit all tastes
The versatility of this bag makes it perfect for someone who wears multiple hats every day. With the simple adjustment of the removable straps, this bag can become either an easy going shoulder bag, a more formal briefcase, or even a comfortable backpack. What’s more, you can easily store the straps in the side pocket when you’re not using them.
In addition to this versatile design, the bag has a lot of room to store everything you could need. It’s step up in size compared to most and can fit a screen up to 17.3 inches. With two inside compartments, one for a laptop, and one for accessories, there is more than enough room for everything you need to carry.
The bag has also been designed to be lightweight and easy to carry, with an additional handle for when you just need to pick up the bag and go. With ergonomic consideration given to the design of the bag, you’ll also be able to carry a bit of weight without getting uncomfortable.Check Best Price
- Multiple carrying positions (shoulder bag, backpack and briefcase)
- Removable straps
- Ample storage space for devices and additional accessories
- Lightweight and ergonomic design
- Luggage strap for attaching to a suitcase
- A very versatile bag, this bag is one of the best laptop backpacks for the busy traveller
- With roomy compartments, you can easily carry everything you need
- With removable straps and outside pockets, you don’t have to worry about losing anything when shifting between different carrying modes
- Fits a 17.3 inch screen
- The versatility of this bag might not be for everyone, some might be looking for something simpler
- The available colour schemes might not be to everyone’s tastes
- No external USB charging capability
There are several options that might qualify as the best laptop backpacks out there, but how many can compare to a stylish handbag? Not many, but the KROSER is one of them.
As a combination carrying bag and laptop backpack, you don’t have to compromise on style to be able to carry all of your devices and accessories. With an easy to navigate central compartment, everything is in easy reach including your 15.6 inch laptop.
With the easy option to carry it like a handbag or put it on your back, you won’t have to think twice about how to carry it, whether you’re running for the train or simply walking down the street.
As the bag is made of durable PU leather, it’s also water repellent, so perfect for moving around in any kind of weather. The bag also comes with a convenient external USB charging port so you can charge on the go.
As an additional bonus, this bag has a durable steel frame and a 1-year manufacturers warranty. So it’s a good choice for those who are looking for a stylish pack that is also long-lasting.Check Best Price
- PU leather bag with water repellent properties
- Easy to carry with backpack straps and a carrying handle
- Easy to access central compartment
- 1-year manufacturers warranty
- Can fit a screen up to 15.6 inches
- The bag is both practical and stylish
- With a 1-year guarantee, you’re ensured of a quality product
- Water repellent properties make this an easy bag to travel with
- No worrying about adding or removing straps, both backpack and carrying features are easily accessible
- The central compartment might be easy to access but if it’s a mess it can be difficult to find anything in there!
What To Look For When Buying A Laptop Backpack
The list of products above will give you a good idea of the best laptop backpacks available. However, to make sure that you’re making the right choice for you, here are some of the features to look out for:
Laptop protection and compartment size
When looking for a bag to carry and protect your laptop, which is essentially your portable office, you need to look for an option that has adequate cushioning.
Often, the laptop compartment will be towards the back of the bag, so you just need to make sure there is enough padding between it and your back. This is to ensure that it doesn’t get damaged or weigh too heavily on your shoulders.
Compartment size is also something to be aware of, as you want to make sure that your laptop will fit snugly within the allocated compartments. All you need to do is make sure you know the size of your device, and check whether the size of the compartment correlates. If your laptop is bigger than the compartment, you will need to look for a bag in a larger size.
In addition to making sure your electronic equipment is protected from weather and spills, you also want to ensure that you’re protected from crime too.
Pickpockets are unfortunately very common all over the world, especially in areas where there are lots of people, like airports and public transport. To make sure that no one can get into your bag without you knowing about it, go for an option with a secure combination lock. The best laptop backpacks will come with various security options.
Water resistance (if it rains)
One of the most important considerations when looking for this sort of backpack is how protected your devices will be inside it. This includes making sure the material is sturdy and water resistant so that all electronic devices are sheltered from the elements.
Water resistance also comes in handy when it comes to accidental spills while working at a coffee shop!
Most laptops are a lot more lightweight than they used to be, with very thin devices now available. Naturally, this all depends on the kind of work you do and the type of device you use. Not to forget the accessories you carry around with it.
Overall, the backpack should support the weight of your devices and make it easier to carry it on your shoulders. Therefore, you don’t want a backpack that is going to add too much extra weight to what you’re already carrying.
For example, a lightweight material is perfect for travelling as it will be a lot easier to move around. However, a canvas bag could also be a long-lasting option but will also be a bit heavier.
Ease of use
The last thing you want is to have to try and look for things in your bag when you’re in a rush and on the move. While several pouches and compartments are useful, the best laptop backpacks will provide organized compartments to store things without making it too difficult to find anything. Zippers should also be easy to open and close.
You also want your bag to be easy to put on and adjust while it is on you. For this reason, it’s important to go for an option with adjustable straps and a design that offers good support for an extended period of time.
On a practical level, you are also going to want to get something that is easy to clean. You won’t be able to put it in the washing machine, but something that is easy to apply a wet cloth to is a good choice. You never know when you might spill something on your bag, or how dirty it is going to get, especially when moving around.
Ultimately, while you want your bag to protect your devices, you actually just want it to be comfortable. There is nothing worse than feeling the strain of an electronic device weighing on your shoulders when you’re standing in a long airport queue or taking a long commute.
When assessing a bag for comfort, make sure that it is made of a fabric that is breathable and isn’t going to get too sweaty. It’s a bit gross, but it’s a reality! The best laptop backpacks have ergonomically designed padding around the shoulders, and a strap that goes across your waist for extra support.
The backpacks don’t have to be exactly like hiking packs, but the more similar they are to a bag that is designed to carry weight for long periods, the better!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much should I pay for a laptop backpack?
It all really depends on what kind of electronic devices you will be carrying and what your budget is. If you have very expensive equipment, it is worth it to make the investment in quality travel gear, even if you aren’t going to be travelling that far.
Ultimately, you get what you pay for. Therefore, overall, it’s a good idea to buy the best you can afford to make sure your devices are safe and well protected.